Thursday, August 11, 2011

Children of Bodom

COB is a Finnish metal band. They were the band that got me into metal.
As such, they are my favourite metal band.
As well has having Alexi (who hasn't been sober for several years), they have fucking cool keyboard work.
One could argue that COB has horrible lyrics that hold no meaning.
But to me, I don't know what the fuck they are saying, so this is not a problem.
Alexi has a sexy voice, some half aggressive growl thing.
Anyway here are songs that I like from them
1. In your face - This is like...epic shit. Who could have thought that a riff with only one note/chord could sound so cool? This is really thrash-like, focusing more on riffs then their previous work, which involved a lot of synth and neoclassical elements. Then again, the whole Are you Dead yet? album is like that. The keyboard also adds to the variety of riffs in this song, maintaining at least some of the COB-vibe. My favourite lyric: 'I don't give a flying fuck.'

2. Kissing the shadows - I don't really like the singing in this one, but the solo is jizz, which makes up for it. It also has some delicious neoclassical like riffs by both keyboard and guitar.
The solo is like a duel between guitar and the keyboard, and sounds fucking amazing. In particular, the first phrase sounds awesome, really exoticy.

3. Downfall - This is the most coolest opening riff ever...Seriously. And I fucking love Alexi's YAOO thing. So stupid sounding but fun to listen to at the same time. Also, the moment just before the solo is incredibly cool. Build up of suspense.

The actual song doesn't start until about 1:50, the beginning is like some famous riffs for fun. Also Alexi's playing is rather sloppy here, he's drunk as fuck.
Ofc there are so many other songs I like but I can't be bothered.

Overall, the best thing about COB is the ability to make you wanna jump around and punch something.

No comments:

Post a Comment